Friday, October 11, 2013

bavarian apple torte.



I was at my parents' house in Thornhill the other week for my dad's 60th birthday. I was given the job of making dessert, and I opted for one of my all time faves: a Bavarian apple torte. I'd never made it myself before, but my mum would often make it on request for my birthday. It's so delicious, and turns out it's also totally easy to make!

Erick and I went apple picking on Wednesday. It was a beautiful day and I pet some adorable ponies and a goat. It was great. With an abundance of apples now in the house I decided to make the torte again.

Here's the recipe:

Crust
1/2 cup of butter, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour

Filling
1 8oz package of cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla

Apples
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 cups of sliced apples (3-4 apples)

You can use a 9-10'' tart pan, or a 9-10'' spring form pan.








Preheat the oven to 400F.

Make the crust. Mix together all the required ingredients in a stand mixer until you have an even crumbly mixture. Dump it in your tart pan, and press into place along the bottom and about 1'' up the side of the tin. Make sure the crust is relatively even in thickness.

Dust out your mixing bowl, then throw in the ingredients for the filling. Blend together until relatively smooth. Pour into the crust and spread it out so it's an even layer.


In another bowl, mix together the apples, sugar, and cinnamon. Now one slice at a time, lay the apples in a pleasing manner on top of the cream cheese mixture.

Pop in the oven and bake at 450F for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 400F and bake an additional 25 minutes. Allow the torte to cool, then remove it from the pan and serve cold or at room temperature.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails